PrepLess than half hour |
CookLess than half hour |
- 5 medium sized of cencaru fish
- 3 tbsp chilli paste
- 3in old ginger
- 2 red onions
- 5 pips garlic
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 thumb-sized turmeric leaf, thinly sliced
- 1 freshly grated coconut, just the white part
- 4 candlenut, pounded
- 1 slice (square) dried shrimp paste/belacan, baked, pounded
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste, mix with 1/2 cup of water)
- salt and sugar to taste
Wet rempah paste
Blend the wet rempah ingredients till fine. Then stir-fry until fragrant for 6 minutes.
Add the tamarind juice, candlenuts, dried shrimp paste, grated coconut, salt and sugar.
Keep stirring until the paste is very dry.
Lastly, add turmeric leaf.
Then stuff the paste into the fish and deep-fry until golden brown for 6-8 minutes. (If using an oven, set the temperature at 160 degrees Celcius and bake for 10 minutes.)